It’s my birthday today! The big 2-2. Gosh I am getting old. But not too old for ice cream sandwiches of course. I couldn’t really decide what I wanted to make for my birthday. Cakes bore me a little bit so I wanted to do something a little different. And last weekend while I was in Nashville I went to Jeni’s and got inspired. They have these AMAZING looking ice cream sandwiches. I mean they are ridiculous, you guys. And pretty much the size of your face. And I’ve never made anything like that before so I decided that entering into my 22nd year of life was the perfect time. So today we shall celebrate with Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sammies.
Is it inappropriate to walk around all day today blaring 22 by T Swift? I think that’s probably frowned upon, but I might do it anyways. Twenty-two is kind of a scary age. I feel like I should start getting my life together in these next few years. You know, like finish school, get a real job, buy a house, find a soul mate, raise a
child puppy. Those sort of grown-up things. But I’m still afraid of spending the night by myself in my house, so I’m not really sure how all of that is going to go. Time will tell.
Let’s talk about crepes. While I was in Nashville last week, we went to this amazing place called The Perch for breakfast one morning. I have never had crepes before (I know, what kind of food blogger am I?!), so I was pretty overwhelmed by the menu and had no idea what to get, so the girl working there told me to get their number one seller, which was the egg, manchego cheese, and chorizo crepe. I’m not gonna lie, I was a little worried after I ordered it. But let me tell you, it was the most delicious thing I have ever had. Ever. I think I’m going to have to recreate it in paleo fashion. AND they had the best coffee ever. So if you ever find yourself in Brentwood, TN, you should definitely make a little pit stop there. You will thank me later.
Now go make yourself some ice cream sammies and celebrate with me!
- For the ice cream:
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips (or other dark chocolate chips)
- For the sandwich:
- 3 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Combine coconut milk, honey, and vanilla in a food processor or blender.
- Pour mixture into a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk in egg yolks.
- Continue whisking until mixture comes to a low boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When ice cream is almost ready, make crust by mixing all crust ingredients until well combined.
- Divide mixture in half.
- Take one half of crust mixture and press into the bottom of a bread pan (9×5 or similar size). Refrigerate the remaining half.
- Stir chocolate chips into ice cream mixture.
- Pour ice cream mixture over bottom crust layer and place in freezer until completely hardened.
- Once hardened, press remaining crust evenly over ice cream layer.
- Return to freezer for 15-20 minutes before cutting into bars.