This is going to be a weird post. Okay, all of my posts are a little weird, but this one is especially because I have some really great news, and also some really sad news. Nothing that starts like that is ever good is it?
So let’s start off with the sad news. So we can get it over with. This weekend, my family said goodbye to our dog of 11 years, Poco. She was the first pet I ever had, and even though she was a little sh*t sometimes, we loved the crap out of her. It all happened really suddenly and we were not prepared for it at all, so I think we are all still in a bit of shock. I’m sure anyone who has ever lost a pet can relate, but it’s just so weird walking in the door and not having her there to greet you. I guess you never really realize how different it is having them around until they aren’t there anymore. It just sucks. And there have been a lot of tears. I’m sure it will get better each day, but right now it’s still just in the sucky phase. I swear it’s worse than losing a human. I don’t think I’ve ever cried this much over a human. Ugh. Someone did send me this though, and it made me feel a little bit better, even though Poco wasn’t really all that nice to anyone. Then I cried again. Crap.
Love you, girl.
So now that that’s off of my chest and you feel nice and depressed now, let’s move on to a happier note. I won’t lie, it’s kind of hard to even be happy about this right now, but it really is something I am so, SO excited about. I found out just about a week and a half ago that I got into the dietetic internship program at Ohio State! Remember how I talked about that dreadful Match Day where you sit down at your computer and wait hopefully to be matched to a program? Well I matched! And I could not be more excited to have been matched to OSU. It’s such a great program and I cannot wait to meet all of my fellow interns in the fall! Look out world, before you know it I will be Taylor Riggs, RD!
So as you can see, it’s been a pretty crazy few weeks around here. Here’s to hoping I only have good news for you in the future and don’t have to write anymore downer posts. Because no one comes here to be sad. You come here for treats. So let’s end this post on a happy note: Reese’s Eggs!
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Mix together sunflower seed butter, coconut flour, maple syrup, and vanilla until well combined.
- Divide mixture into about 10 equal portions, and use hands to roll each into an egg-like shape.
- Place on a baking sheet or plate lined with wax paper and put in freezer to harden.
- While eggs are in the freezer, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil together (I did mine in the microwave, using 30 second increments and stirring until completely melted, but you could also do this on the stove over low heat). NOTE** I recommend melting chocolate in a coffee mug or similar cup instead of a larger bowl so that it is easier to cover eggs in one easy dip.
- Remove eggs from freezer after about 10-20 minutes and dip in chocolate to cover completely using a toothpick.
- Allow excess chocolate to drip off of eggs by lightly tapping the hand holding the toothpick with your free hand before placing back on parchment paper.
- Place chocolate-covered eggs in the refrigerator to set completely before serving.
- (Store in refrigerator).