Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake in a Mug!

A couple days ago, I shared the protein powder cake in a mug I had been making for a bedtime snack.  Since then (as I mentioned in a previous post), I came to the conclusion that the protein powder might be making me sick, so obviously no more protein powder mug cakes icon sad Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake in a Mug!

But, let’s just say I got over that sadness pretttyyyyy quick when I discovered this:

20120510 185443 Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake in a Mug!

Ummm….yeah. Tell me that doesn’t even just LOOK better than the protein mug cake.

It’s also about twice the size of the protein powder cake.  Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Here’s the recipe I used:

Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake in a Mug

2 TBSP coconut flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt

1 TBSP cocoa powder

1 egg

4 TBSP almond milk

1 TBSP melted coconut oil

a little stevia

I combined all of those ingredients in a bowl, and then poured it into a small microwave-safe bowl sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Then, I put it in the microwave for about two minutes, and viola! A HUGE mug cake was formed!

I topped mine with some Cookie Nookie PB Crave and a few crushed Annie’s bunnies, and then poured some almond milk over the top. Does anyone else like cake/muffins/everythinggg in milk?  It’s a trick my AAU basketball coach taught me in high school.  Thanks Coach Ferkel! icon smile Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake in a Mug!

Let’s just say I will literally be making this every night for the next week rest of my life.

Any ideas for other toppings? I am open to any suggestions.  Preferably any that might involve nut butters of ANY sort icon wink Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake in a Mug!

Hope you enjoy!

Comments: 19

1. Kate September 25, 2012 at 9:42 pm Reply

You have got to be kidding me!! This is UNREAL its so easy and delicious. Seriously…I am amazed. I topped mine with frozen yogurt. You should try to make Avacado mousse too…top desert fav.

• taylorrmade September 27, 2012 at 3:23 pm Reply

So glad you loved it! The frozen yogurt addition sounds delicious! And I have heard about avocado mousse….I’ll have to give it a try sometime!

2. Ana Carolina October 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm Reply

I made your recipe tonight and it wasn’t sweet enough for me. I squirted some honey and topped with a dollop of Greek vanilla yogurt. Now we’re talking! Yum.

• jess February 13, 2013 at 10:18 pm Reply

i just did the same exact thing. this was sooo good!

3. Jenni February 5, 2013 at 7:30 pm Reply

This looks so yummy! However, we do not own a microwave. Any suggestions on doing it in the oven? Ever tried it?

• taylorrmade February 6, 2013 at 6:00 pm Reply

Hi Jenni!

I can’t say that I have tried it in the oven before, but might suggest putting some baking powder in if you tried it? Might make it even better and more fluffy :) Let me know if you try an oven version and how it turns out!

4. Sydney March 7, 2013 at 1:09 pm Reply

I’ve made this three times & can’t get enough! I added almond butter & chocolate chips :) I love it so much, but it’s kind of a pain in the buns to make over & over & over (since I’m obsessed..) so I premade a few with the dry ingredients in baggies & added the eggs, milk & almond butter before zapping it in the microwave. DE-LISH.

• taylorrmade March 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm Reply

That is SUCH a great idea!!! Glad you like it! :)

5. seoorganics.net May 7, 2013 at 4:26 am Reply

Hello! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the excellent work!

6. andrea July 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm Reply

Is the coconut oil a necessity? Can I leave it out or do I need to replace it with something like 1TBSP mashed banana? Or what is a good alternative? Thank you!

• triggs122@yahoo.com July 23, 2013 at 7:51 pm Reply

I haven’t tried anything else but I think banana would work or ghee/grass-fed butter!

7. Liz December 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm Reply

I’ve made this several times now and I must say, it’s my fave quick dessert recipe! Love love this!

8. Janessa March 6, 2014 at 12:52 am Reply

Would rice / coconut milk work? I have a nut allergy.

9. [...] Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake in a Mug [...]

10. [...] The full recipe is here: Coconut Flour Chocolate Mug Cake [...]

11. [...] Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake in a Mug [...]

12. Ashley July 23, 2014 at 4:50 pm Reply

Shut the front door! I wish I had never found this let alone tried it! BUT thank you from saving me from eating an entire chocolate cake…

13. vanessa May 15, 2013 at 11:49 am Reply

avocato mousse is the best thing i discovered this year!!!! so so so amazing last night idid and covered with shredded coconut and dry crerry OMG so so good you need to try!!! I am just eating this coconut cake so good i topped mine with vanilla greek yogurt and coconut….hummmm thanks!!